The 2012 Hannon Cup Matches will take place on Monday and Tuesday, September 17-18 at Spanish Oaks Golf Club. The matches are played in a Ryder Cup format with local professionals facing local amateurs. This will mark the 16th year of these matches and the amateurs have a slim 8-7 lead over the history of the matches.
Coach George Hannon, the namesake of the Hannon Cup Association, will be present to celebrate the event. He recently celebrated his 88th birthday and is still active in teaching golfers. In fact, he was at Spanish Oaks on Wednesday teaching a women golfers clinic.
The professionals won the 2011 matches and are fielding a strong team again which includes Wes Short, a winner on the PGA tour, Lonny Alexander, who has won the South Texas PGA sectional title, and other accomplished players who are local club professionals.
The amateur team consists of the leading local amateurs including:
- Brian Noonan, the current and three time winner of the Men's City Championship
- Kody King the 2011 Men's City Champion and current points leader in the Austin Amateur Golf rankings
- Michael Cooper who has won the City Championship and the Firecracker Open twice
- Manny Bhakta who won the 2012 Horseshoe Bay Invitational
- Ryan Murphy, assistant Golf Coach of the national championship UT Men's team and 2012 Central Texas Amateur Champion
- Ron Kilby who won the State Senior Championship in 2011 and played in the 2012 U.S. Senior Open Championship
The official program for the matches is available below. It includes complete player profiles for both teams and information about Dave Stockton, who will be the featured speaker at the players dinner. There is also a review of the 2012 Hannon Cup Association activities including the 2012 Hannon Cup Scholarship winners and the winners of the George Hannon Junior Invitational . To view the program, open this link. 2012 HCA Matches Program
To learn more about the Hannon Cup Association and how to become involved, visit their webpage.